Polartec® Weather Protection fabrics

As beautiful as nature can be, it can also quickly turn ugly. Poor weather can make any activity less comfortable, fun and safe. While many of our insulation products are available with a Durable Water Repellent (DWR), our Polartec® weather protection fabrics offer an even greater degree of wind and water resistance.

Our new "super-fleece" Polartec® WindPro® has four times more wind resistance than traditional fleece without sacrificing breathability. Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® blocks 98% of the wind while Polartec® Windbloc® is completely wind-proof. Polartec® Power Shield® has a woven nylon outer surface that provides superb protection from snow and light rain, yet remains highly breathable. Polartec® Aqua Shell® is waterproof and is an excellent insulation layer for all watersports including paddling, surfing, snorkeling and water skiing.

Especially when worn with the appropriate next-to-skin layers, Polartec® weather protection fabrics can keep you dry and comfortable in even the harshest conditions nature can throw at you.

Polartec® Wind Pro® fabrics are extremely breathable yet provide 4x more wind resistance than traditional fleece.  This is the new "super fleece" which spans an incredibly wide range of conditions; performs as both outerwear and insulation; and offers exceptional durability.  This is a versatile fabric which can be worm all year long for a variety of activities.

How does it work?
Proprietary yarns and a very tight construction greatly reduce the effects of wind chill, the Achilles heel of traditional fleece.  We have proven its effectiveness both in the lab and in the field.  Polartec® Wind Pro® blocks the wind 4x more than traditional fleece.
The durable water repellent outer surface sheds rain and snow. Velour or pebbled back efficiently traps air and provides a high warmth-to-weight ratio.  Both surfaces of these fabrics are finished for maximum durability and pill-free performance. They retain their insulating ability and original appearance after repeated use and laundering.
Because it is not a laminate, Polartec® Wind Pro® is also highly breathable, maintaining 85% of the breathability of traditional fleece to keep you from over heating.
Technical Highlights

  • 4x more wind resistant than traditional fleece; greatly reduces wind chill
  • Provides warmth without the weight and bulk of traditional insulating fabrics
  • Water repellent surface sheds rain and snow
  • Highly breathable; provides comfort in all activities; does not restrict the movement of moisture vapor
  • Durable; will outlast other fleece fabrics
  • Machine washable
  • Versatile; appropriate for a broad range of activities

Polartec® Windbloc® fabrics block 100% of the wind and offer maximum protection from the cold and the elements.  A soft hand, stretch, and a durable water repellent finish (DWR) make this the highest quality, most comfortable windproof fleece product on the market.

How does it work?
Polartec® Windbloc® fabrics combine the warmth of Polartec® thermal fabrics with a polyurethane barrier membrane that allows moisture vapor transmission and is completely windproof and waterproof, eliminating the need for a windbreaker or additional shell. This reduces the weight and number of layers needed to protect and insulate.
These fabrics are very durable, quiet, and non-pilling, and have enhanced stretch and recovery, making them appropriate for general outerwear and accessories where weather protection is desirable.
Polartec® Windbloc® fabrics are ideal when the activity level is low or intermittent, and when cold and inclement weather demands high-performance outer protection.

Technical Highlights

  • Blocks 100% of the wind to prevent wind chill
  • Provides warmth without the weight and bulk of traditional insulating fabrics
  • Water repellent surface sheds rain and snow
  • Non-restrictive fit for full range of motion
  • Creates less noise than a traditional shell
  • Polyurethane film membrane allows internal moisture to move to outer surface, leaving you dry and comfortable in all but the most active sports
  • Durable; will outlast traditional fabrics
  • Machine washable

Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® fabrics provide wind and weather protection for active sports where enhanced breathability is required. By combining several features in a single fabric, they eliminate the need for a windbreaker or additional shell.
How it works?
Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® blocks 98% of the wind. The remaining 2% is allowed to circulate within the fabric, which greatly enhances moisture vapor transmission – 2 times faster than other windproof fleece – and improves breathability, reducing the risk of heat-stress buildup.
Featuring a breathable stretch-polyurethane membrane, Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® fabrics enable you to stretch freely and move quietly throuh your outdoor activity.  A durable water repellent finish sheds rain and snow, while a Polartec® Power Dry®  lining inside pulls moisture away from the body to keep you dry.
 
Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® fabrics are also very durable, quiet, and non-pilling, with superior stretch and recovery. They are ideal for active, forward-motion sports requiring warmth and protection from the elements.

Technical Highlights

  • Blocks 98% of the wind to prevent wind chill, but allows enough air to circulate to keep you from overheating
  • Highly breathable; relieves heat stress buildup during action sports
  • Provides warmth without the weight and bulk of traditional insulating fabrics
  • Water repellent surface sheds rain and snow
  • Non-restrictive fit allows full range of motion
  • Creates less noise than a traditional shell
  • Polartec® Power Dry® lining for moisture management
  • Durable; will outlast other fleece fabrics
  • Machine washable

Polartec® Power Shield® fabrics are the next generation of technical outwear - the soft shell.  This clothing concept goes beyond traditional 2-layer systems, which feature fleece insulation and a waterproof/breathable shell, to a single layer that protects against all but the worst weather conditions and delivers extended breathability, abrasion resistance and stretch to enhance your outdoor experience.

How does it work?
Polartec® Power Shield® fabrics feature a smooth, tightly woven nylon face for abrasion resistance equal or superior to the best shells, but without the stiffness and noise.  A polyester velour back that traps air and provides a high warmth-to-weight ratio.
Polartec® Windbloc-ACT® enables the fabric to block 98% of the wind. The remaining 2% is allowed to circulate within the fabric, which greatly enhances moisture vapor transmission –2 times faster than other waterproof breathable shells – and improves breathability, reducing the risk of heat stress buildup.
All Polartec® Power Shield® fabrics are finished with a durable water repellent (DWR) to shed rain and snow. All version feature spandex or mechanical stretch for freedom of movement.
Garments made from Polartec® Power Shield® fabrics are designed to replace traditional fleece and shell systems for most outdoor clothing applications, reducing the weight and number of layers needed to insulate and protect. They are ideal for skiing, snowboarding, winter climbing and back-country trekking.They are used in jackets, pants, bibs, hats,and gloves.  It's outerwear that gets worn, not carried.

Technical Highlights

  • Extremely abrasion resistant face for long lasting durability; fabric maintains its form and function regardless of abrasive contact
  • Blocks 98% of the wind to prevent wind chill,but allows enough air to circulate to keep you from overheating
  • Water repellent surface sheds rain and snow
  • Highly breathable; resists heat stress buildup during action sports
  • Non-restrictive fit allows full range of motion
  • Provides warmth without the weight and bulk of traditional insulating fabrics
  • Creates less noise than a traditional shell
  • Machine washable

Polartec® Aqua Shell® fabrics feature the warmth of Polartec® thermal fabrics, combined with body-hugging 4-way stretch and a windproof membrane. They are designed to replace neoprene and spandex skins for many water sports by providing far greater comfort and increased warmth per weight. The 4-way stretch provides a comfortable, non-restrictive fit along with easy donning and doffing. The polyester inner construction provides a high warmth-to-weight ratio. Polartec® Aqua Shell® fabrics are also odor- and itch-resistant, non-chafing, and have outstanding sun protection (UPF 40).

How does it work?
There are two versions of Polartec® Aqua Shell® fabric available:

1) The nylon-faced version is equivalent in warmth to 2.5 mm neoprene; it is windproof, water-repellent, and offers great abrasion protection. Polartec® Aqua Shell® fabrics are neutrally buoyant, which reduces the amount of extra weights necessary for diving. Good breathability makes it ideal for warm-water diving and as an insulating base layer for above-water sports. It also provides warmth and wind protection in action speed sports like cycling and skiing.

2) The skin version is windproof and waterproof, and can be seam-sealed. Its surface sheds water to minimize evaporative heat loss, making the fabric ideal for an outer layer in above-water sports.

Technical Highlights

  • Warmth of 2.5 mm neoprene
  • Blocks 100% of the wind to prevent wind chill
  • Non-restrictive fit allows full range of motion
  • Odor-and itch-resistant for next-to-skin comfort
  • Provides very good sun protection (UPF 40)
  • Neutral buoyancy
  • Machine washable

©2004 Malden Mills Industries, Inc. Malden Mills®, Polartec®, and Power Dry® are trademarks registered in the United States and in other jurisdictions for fabrics available only from Malden Mills Industries, Inc.