Seasonal Outdoor Instructor
Closing Date: 17 November 2019
Interview Date: 2 and 3 December 2019 (Please note this will be a two-day process)
This is a fantastic opportunity for experienced, enthusiastic and motivated instructors to join the team at Calshot Activities Centre.
This is on a fixed term contract with real opportunities to progress to full time, permanent posts. Hampshire Outdoor Centres have a reputation for excellence and professionalism as well as operating to the highest standards. Hampshire Outdoor Centres consists of four centres, three in Hampshire and one in Wales.
Calshot is in a prime location on the shores of the Solent and one of the largest outdoor centres in Britain. We have one of the most diverse range of activities found at any outdoor centre. In our big Sunderland hangar we have an indoor ski slope, the biggest climbing wall on the south coast, a velodrome and archery and shooting ranges. Across the spit is our watersports hangar, Sopwith, which houses all the powerboat, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing kit. Not only do we get to play in the waters of the Solent but we also have the beautiful New Forest National Park on our doorstep where we take groups to do field studies activities and orienteering.
Calshot is not only a great place to teach but it also provides a fanatic location to play. Staff regularly get out at lunch or after work to go on the water or take advantage of the south coasts biggest climbing wall.
It is essential you hold the RYA Dinghy Instructor qualification with BCU Paddlesports Instructor being desirable. We expect our Outdoor Instructors to help mentor and develop the Activity Leaders and Centre Assistants so experience in training or supporting other staff is also desirable. You will be enthusiastic and motivated and believe in the value of outdoor learning. We are looking for an individual who will be able to work through our training and assessment process in a positive proactive manner and therefore become operational as soon as possible.
At Calshot Activities Centre you will spend most of your time with groups. Calshot is dedicated to accelerating the personal development of young people through group learning situations; this means that where possible an instructor follows a group for the duration of their course, teaching the full range of activities.
If you do not have the above experience or qualifications we are looking for seasonal Centre Assistants so please contact us to discuss.
Please also ensure you detail all relevant instructional qualifications/personal performance awards clearly.
To undertake an initial comprehensive training period and induction to operational procedures, activities and systems. To instruct centre customers and to support the outdoor centre management in day to day operations whilst observing health and safety principles and practices.
* To take part in all training, induction and evaluation/assessment activities required to ultimately meet full operational effectiveness
* To instruct a range of outdoor activities to school children, youth groups and adults following set structures and the supervision frameworks set down in the Instructor Handbook
* Provide regular support for junior staff and supervise where qualifications permit. Support management training junior staff to laid down procedures.
* To assist in maintaining equipment and resources as determined by senior staff in order to maintain operational effectiveness
* Duty evenings and Duty weekends within a structured support system – in order to ensure that the centre meets its duty of care to all customers outside of normal office hours, for which an allowance payment is made.
Normal hours of work will average 37 per week (balanced over a four week period) worked according to a pattern agreed with your manager and will include some evening and weekend working according to the operational needs of the Centre.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* You must hold the following qualifications (valid for the duration of the contract);
* RYA Dinghy Instructor
* UKCC Level 1 Paddlesports coach
* You must have worked in residential outdoor centre and have relevant teaching experience
* A broad experience of outdoor activities
* Ability to work in a team
* Good communication skills
Desirable Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* An off ground instructional qualification i.e. CWI, ERCA
* UKCC Level 2 Kayak coach
* RYA Senior Dinghy Instructor
* RYA Windsurf Instructor
* Additional qualifications in other relevant activities
* Full driving licence
* Additional skills in relevant land or water based activities
* Knowledge and understanding of Outdoor Education
Link to application