Hospitality and Catering Assistant
Imagine a role that offers you both unique opportunities and challenges; where you are an important part of an empowered team who strive to create a truly memorable experience for every individual who visits our FSC Locations and where you have the chance to demonstrate your passion to deliver the highest standards of customer service and care. No matter what role you perform at the FSC, everyone can make a difference... if you want to join our successful Environmental Education Charity and you have what it takes to make a difference then we want to hear from you.
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the BASIC application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form. Applications will be considered upon arrival and interviews arranged as appropriate.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Kate Payne on 01548 580466. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.
Overall Job purpose:
Hospitality & Catering Assistants work in the kitchen, service and housekeeping operations to ensure the smooth running of catering operations and that the learning location is clean and tidy for visitors at all times, whilst contributing to a friendly welcoming atmosphere.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post holder to be able to carry out duties associated with housekeeping and kitchen work, including manual handling, e.g. carrying saucepans, trays of food/crockery and laundry, assisting with food deliveries, making beds and operating vacuum cleaners.
• Assisting with the preparation and service of breakfast, lunches and evening meals for up to 120 residential visitors and staff, and occasional meals for non-residential groups, in accordance with health and hygiene regulations
• Laying up of tables for breakfasts and evening meals for resident groups, and on occasions for lunches
• Service and clearing in the dining area at meal times, cleaning the kitchen and operating the dishwasher
• Preparation of sandwich fillings and packed lunch materials
• Helping with the receiving of deliveries and ensuring they are checked and correctly stored on arrival
• Ensuring that tea/coffee making areas for visitors are kept clean and stocked
• Maintaining cleanliness and hygiene throughout the dining room, kitchen, pantry and other storage areas, based on daily and weekly cleaning rotas
• Routine and additional cleaning or preparation of the learning location for all users: including bedrooms, corridors, public areas, staff areas, classrooms, bathroom, shower and toilet facilities
• Preparation of customer accommodation: including clearing and making up of beds, provision of towels, and restocking of tea/coffee making facilities
• Recognising areas requiring additional cleaning, tackling these where possible and where necessary reporting these to your Line Manager
• Keeping all exits and corridors free from obstructions, ensuring that equipment is safely stored and laundry/house cupboards are organised and tidy
• Ensuring laundry is completed in a timely manner: working in the laundry, operating machines and pressing (after appropriate training)
• Undertaking a variety of miscellaneous tasks which could include serving in the shop, collecting or delivering people or materials in FSC vehicles, grounds maintenance, assisting with general maintenance and painting around the learning location
• Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
• Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening duty system - this will involve staying on site on some evenings to deal with customer issues and, with the support of a Senior member of staff, respond to emergencies
• Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
• Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
• Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
• Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
• Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
• Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
• Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you may be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
• Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location