Duke of Edinburgh’s Award County Co-ordinator
Reporting to the County Manager for Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE), this role will be responsible for supporting the development of the DofE in Essex and implementing the strategy to work within a cost recoverable business model. The post holder will be responsible for developing the offer and growth of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award provision to young people within our own Open Award Centres, as well as supporting schools and community groups to develop their own offer.
The role will lead and manage the delivery by ECC DofE staff across the County. They will also be key in providing information, support and expertise to support, remove barriers and promote the growth of DofE.
Role Specific Accountabilities
• Work with County DofE Manager to develop and increase the DofE offer to young people in Essex
• Manage the staff team to ensure that DofE participation and completions continues to grow in Essex and ensure consistent and high quality delivery to required standards
• Management of all physical resources belonging to ECC associated with the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme and ensure that Duke of Edinburgh’s Award records, including eDofE, are kept up-to-date and to take whatever action is necessary to sustain and improve performance by groups under our licence
• Develop the existing Open Award Centres and any potential areas for growth
• Deliver sessions or attend expeditions, as required, to enable students to complete all sections of their Award
• Support groups under our licence to become self-sustaining in their delivery of DofE through training opportunities
• Attend meetings relating to the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme and represent the Youth Service at identified Duke of Edinburgh’s Award meetings
• Promote and publicise the work of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award in Essex and liaise with outside organisations to find and promote opportunities for students to undertake the Award
• Ensure appropriate celebration events are supported and delivered to enable recognition of participants achievement and presentation of Awards, including the annual County Gold Award Celebration event.
• Ensure compliance with ECC health and safety and ECSB SET child protection procedures
• Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the level and accountabilities of the post as directed by the Head of the Service Reporting to the County Manager for Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE), this role will be responsible in supporting the development of the DofE and its business strategy to work within a cost recoverable business model.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Excellent level of numeracy, literacy (GCSE A – C or equivalent) and ICT
• Suitable outdoor qualification to help train students and lead expeditions in wild country terrain where required (ML/HML)
• Extensive knowledge, experience and enthusiasm in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme
• Youth work qualified or a commitment to undertake youth work training
• Good IT skills in using and managing databases
• Ability to undertake research, analysis and insight where required
• Experience of working to set targets and timescales
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external partners
• Good time management, ability to prioritise workload & communication skills
• The job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Depending on the geographical area, access to a vehicle or another efficient mode of transport will be required
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:/www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 0844 800 6685*.
*Calls to this number will cost 7 pence per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all of its employees, including:
• A Local Government pension scheme
• Interest free bus and rail season ticket loans, from £100-£5,000 as well as pool bikes and a car sharing scheme
• Childcare voucher scheme
• Annual leave entitlement of up to 29 days per year (depending upon grade and length of service)
• Excellent opportunities for personal and professional development through our specialist learning and development teams
• Extensive induction programmes
• Continued service benefits
• Staff discounts in gyms/travel agencies/car sales/restaurants and days out
Please note ECC regularly reviews its reward and benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Closing Date: 11th December 2017