Emergency Call Handler
Our mission is based on resolving calls at the first point of contact and you will be actively involved in this process.
Therefore this is a critical role which requires applicants who are extremely motivated with a mature outlook. There will be occasions when callers are distressed and their situation critical. This is when you will need to take control and give reassurance whilst remaining professional, empathetic, compassionate and supportive.
Please note that this role has a 12 hour shift pattern, which includes nights and weekend. It is an important and key role in our emergency support procedures.
Please send a copy of your CV along with a one-page cover letter to Recruitment@world-challenge.co.uk . Please mark the subject heading ‘Operational Support Technician’.
Overall purpose of the job
• The function of the Operations Centre is to provide 24 hour support to our teams for the duration of their expeditions. This will include handling a wide range of incidents and when necessary helping to coordinate emergency evacuations in conjunction with our Expedition Leaders and local assets.
• Ensure that The Operations Centre functions at the highest standards at all times.
assist in the development of Operations Centre Standard Operating Procedures and protocols.
Main activities and key tasks
• Manage the initial handling of any incoming communication to the Operations Centre.
• Manage the immediate response to incoming incidents, including triage, helping to gain control of the given situation and providing support to personnel on the ground as required.
• Report any Severity level 1 or 2 incidents or any other major incidents
• Conduct detailed briefings and handovers between incoming and outgoing Operations Centre staff at shift changes.
• Accurately record all incident details into the Incident management system
• Provide professional customer service to expedition personnel and other stakeholders.
• Preparation, maintenance and allocation of Satellite Phones and Emergency Beacons for each expedition
• Assist with the recruitment and training of seasonal Support staff and provide ongoing analysis of the incident log to produce statistics for regular review.
• Assist. in general operational projects and workplace Health & Safety on an ad hoc basis
• Supervise and guide the Operational Supports Assistants with Operations Centre tasks
• The Operational Support Technician will work alongside and assist the management of Operational Support Assistant as part of a team managed by the Operational Support Manager, to ensure World Challenge provides a consistently high standard and efficient frontline response to our Customers.
Training, skills, knowledge and experience required
• A strong candidate will be one who can demonstrate a strong background in customer service, a team approach to work, but who is also happy to take on responsibility when required
• Experience within an Emergency Services operations room or Call Centre environment and of related operational issues
• Experience of working to operational policies, Standard Operating Procedures and Emergency Plans
• Strong organisational, time management and prioritisation skills
• Confident decision maker within a fast moving and operationally driven environment
• Excellent communication skills: experienced at verbal and written communication to senior management level
• Strong IT skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and experience of databases
• Minimum current 16-hour First Aid certificate; higher medical training desirable
• Developing world / independent travel experience (desirable)
• Able to type quickly and accurately (Essential)
Any relevant information
• This role will work to a 12 hr shift pattern during our main Season June, July, August & Nov, Dec, Jan, which will include weekend and night shifts out of season a flexible approach to the normal shift pattern will be adopted, consisting of 8 hr. ops room day duties & Remote Cover during night shifts.