Education Team Leader (Maternity Cover)
Imagine a job where you can use your environmental knowledge every day, helping to shape the minds of the new generation; a job where you work as part of a team in the great outdoors, inspiring others and developing passions for the future. Teaching with FSC gives you a role with both challenge and opportunity, and a chance to start young people on a journey of discovery that can last a lifetime. FSC are looking for people with a curiosity for the world around us, a passion for the natural history of the British Isles and an ability to enthuse and inspire others.
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at: www.field-studies-council.org/vacancies
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: email@example.com OR Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Wednesday 28th March 2018.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Margam Discovery Centre on Thursday 5th April 2018.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Jane Richmond on 01639 895636. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.
Overall Job purpose:
This role primarily involves leading the education team to develop, plan and deliver ‘out-of-classroom learning’ activities to a wide ranging audience; engaging and enthusing students and assisting FSC achieve their goal of ‘Inspiring Environmental Understanding through first-hand experience’. The post holder will be expected to lead groups of all abilities in the natural environment with the ability to provide an appropriate standard of care for our learners. The post holder will be responsible for management of all aspects of the Education team, bringing together the staff to promote excellence across a spectrum of activities.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post holder to be able to carry out duties associated with effectively managing groups in outdoor learning locations, which may be remote, whilst ensuring the health and safety of the group at all times, including carrying safety sacks.
• Contributing to the leadership of the learning location as a member of the Senior Management Team
• Working with the Senior Management Team to oversee the day-to-day operation of the learning location in the absence of the Head of Centre
• Working together with the Head of Centre to increase occupancy and length of season
• Leading developments and improvements for education provision indicated in the 2017 FSC Quality Badge Plus report
• Carrying out line management of the education team, providing support and advice through induction, training, teaching observation & personal review. This will involve day-to-day management of the education team at the learning location
• Leading FSC Health & Safety systems for educational aspects of the learning location
• Leading the development and delivery of out-of-classroom learning experiences to a wide-ranging audience of formal and informal educational groups
• Specification-led programmes at Key-stage 4 and A/AS level in biology and geography (and related subjects)
• Key-stage 2 and 3 cross-curricular environmental programmes
• Informal leisure-learning programmes for adult and family groups
• Supporting other courses, e.g. university groups, PGCE, etc
• Setting a high standard of customer service – meeting and greeting visiting staff, welcome talks, etc and ensuring that these are delivered effectively
• Ensuring that - where appropriate - programmes have relevance to the National Curriculum for England and Wales and awarding body specifications
• Incorporating opportunities for the development of key skills within ‘out-of-classroom’ activities
• Liaising with accompanying staff to ensure programmes meet their requirements
• Ensuring that education staff are involved in wider education initiatives e.g. advisory groups, trainee tutor scheme, new initiatives promoted by Head Office e.g. IB and relevant local initiatives
• Ensuring that the education team complies with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Code of Practice (OCoPs)
Resource & Project Development
• Leading administration, support & maintenance of resources, lesson plans and schemes of work for the education team
• Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
• Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening and residential duty system - this will involve staying on site on some evenings and overnight to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the senior on-call team you will also provide support to other duty staff
• Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
• Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
• Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
• Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
• Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
• Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
• Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you will be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
• Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location