This is a permanent seasonal position; the season normally runs from 1st March through to 31 October each year
Imagine a role that offers you both unique opportunities and challenges; where you are an important part of an empowered team who strive to create a truly memorable experience for every individual who visits our FSC Locations and where you have the chance to demonstrate your passion to deliver the highest standards of customer service and care. No matter what role you perform at the FSC, everyone can make a difference... if you want to join our successful Environmental Education Charity and you have what it takes to make a difference then we want to hear from you.
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the NON-EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: email@example.com OR Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Friday 1st December 2017.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Dale Fort Field Centre on Monday 11th December 2017
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Jenny Clinch on Tel No. 01646 623920. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.
Overall Job purpose:
The Lead Cook will have management responsibilities for the catering operation at the learning location. This will include hands-on cooking as well as the effective management of the catering team. The post holder will have a proven track record of stock control and ordering, leading and developing a team and delivering the highest standard of food safety and hygiene.
This is an active role and will require the post holder to be able to carry out duties associated with kitchen work, including manual handling, e.g. carrying saucepans, food items, assisting with food deliveries.
• Working with the Catering Manager to develop and implement working systems and shift patterns that ensure an efficient, hygienic and safe catering service that meets the demands of our customers and is in line with current legislation and FSC Codes of Practice
• Carrying out the day to day line management of the catering team, providing clear direction, motivation, support and feedback
• Recruiting, inducting & developing catering staff, including having an active role in their performance management and carrying out Personal Development Reviews (PDR’s) in line with FSC procedures
• Working with the Catering Manager to streamline all kitchen processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness
• Cooking and delivery of breakfast (earliest sitting usually 7.45 am) and evening meals (latest sitting usually 6.30 pm) for up to 140 residential visitors, in accordance with health and hygiene regulations. There are occasional requirements for meals outside these times due to difficult tides.
• Preparing and overseeing the making of packed lunches and home-baked items for packed lunches
• Supporting the Catering Manager in the financial management of the catering operation, including working within agreed budgets for food, equipment, staffing and training
• Ensuring monitoring and accurate recording of all catering functions is carried out in accordance with safe catering practices e.g. HACCP, Safer Food Better Business
• Compiling a varied range of menus to satisfy differing user groups, taking account of special diets and the ‘healthy eating’ agenda using, where practicable, local, organic and fair trade ingredients
• Sourcing suppliers and managing stock levels, including placing orders and receiving deliveries, ensuring they are checked and correctly stored on arrival
• Maintaining high standards of cleanliness in the working environment, including the kitchen and dining room
• Overseeing and participating in the upkeep, cleaning and decorating of the kitchen and dining area, and other areas of the Centre in quiet periods
• Assisting with the continuing development and implementation of the environmental performance policy (gaining external accreditation for these where possible) in relation to:
• Environmental cleaning products
• Reducing energy use and waste
• Reducing our use of processed foods
• Purchasing local and seasonal produce
• Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
• Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening and residential duty system – this will involve being on duty during early morning and early evening to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the senior on-call team you will also provide support for other duty staff
• Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
• Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
• Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
• Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
• Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
• Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
• Driving: Due to the remote nature of the learning location it cannot always be accessed by public transport and it would therefore be advantageous if the post holder were able to drive. To drive FSC vehicles, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
• Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location