Imagine a job where you can use your management experience and environmental knowledge every day; helping to shape the minds of the new generation; a job where you work as part of a team in the great outdoors, inspiring others and developing passions for the future. A senior leadership position with the FSC, managing a diverse team of educators, hospitality and maintenance staff, gives you a role with both challenge and opportunity and a chance to start young people on a journey of discovery that can last a lifetime. FSC are looking for people with a curiosity for the world around us, a passion for the natural history of the British Isles and an ability to enthuse and inspire others.
How to apply:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the MANAGEMENT application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
For all recruitment information and relevant application form please go to our vacancies web page at:
Send your completed application form to: email@example.com OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Friday 3rd November 2017.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at Bishops Wood in the week commencing Monday 13th November 2017.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Richard Walker on 01743 852100. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.
Overall Job Purpose:
This is a key leadership role, working closely with the Director of Finance and a Senior Head of Centre to ensure the efficient and effective running of the learning location, and ensuring that all activities are in line with the FSC 2020 vision. This is an active role and will require the job holder to be able to carry out duties associated with all aspects of running a busy learning location.
• Overall Responsibility for the day-to-day line management of staff, with a focus on customer care and customer relations
• Leading the team to implement the business plan and reporting against agreed targets
• Working together with the Director of Finance and Team Leaders to develop and implement the business plan and action plans.
• Proactively working with the Director of Finance to promote the Learning Location to increase numbers of learners and length of the teaching year
• Working with Head Office teams to ensure effective booking and financial systems to ensure efficient administration.
• Working together with the Director of Finance to further develop partnership work with the National Grid and local partnerships, contributing to appropriate local & regional networks and communities
• Active involvement in the recruitment of staff, providing support and advice through induction, training & review and delivering on our commitments to be an Investor in People
• Ensuring the excellent reputation of FSC Bishops Wood for delivering high quality professional, individual and family courses, university and school courses is maintained and further developed
• Ensuring that all users of the learning location have a high quality experience, as evaluated through customer feedback and the FSC Quality Badge Plus Assessments
• Actively improving the learning location’s environmental performance with a current focus on carbon reduction
• Proactively leading FSC Health & Safety systems for FSC Bishops Wood
• Working closely with the Director of Finance to ensure that the agreed budgets are monitored closely to achieve agreed targets appropriate to the capacity of FSC Bishops Wood
• Proactively working with the Director of Finance and National Grants Officer to generate income for the Learning Location through bursaries and grants
• Working with the Director of Finance & FSC Property Manager to manage buildings and grounds including the Sustainability Action Plan in liaison with National Grid.
• Taking a role in FSC Bishops Wood evening duties – this may occasionally involve staying on site some evenings to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the Senior on-call team you may also be required to provide support to other duty staff
• Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
• Proactively inspiring and delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
• Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
• Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
• Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
• Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
• Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
• Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you may be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
• Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location and wider region.
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
• A positive and passionate work attitude
• A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
• A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
• An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
• An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
• Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
• A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
• A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges