Community Engagement & Volunteer Coordinator
This is a part time position 20 hours per week.
Imagine a role that offers you both unique opportunities and challenges; where you are an important part of an empowered team who strive to create a truly memorable experience for every individual who visits our FSC Locations and where you have the chance to demonstrate your passion to deliver the highest standards of customer service and care. No matter what role you perform at the FSC, everyone can make a difference...if you want to join our successful Environmental Education Charity and you have what it takes to make a difference then we want to hear from you.
How to apply:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the NON EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
For all recruitment information and the relevant application form please go to our vacancies web page at:
Send your completed application form to: email@example.com OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, SY4 1HW.
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Tuesday 29th August 2017.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at FSC Slapton Ley on Wednesday 13th September 2017.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Andy Pratt on 01548 580466. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.
Overall Job purpose:
To be responsible for co-ordinating and developing volunteering at FSC Slapton
• To enhance the management of FSC Slapton to provide the highest quality experience for our learners.
• To broaden participation and extend the range of opportunities for outdoor learning and environmental understanding
Broadening Opportunities for Outdoor Learning and Environmental Understanding
• Promote opportunities at FSC Slapton such as volunteering, courses, events and fold out guides
• Attending events with partners, from local farmers markets to educational conferences
• Organising Open Day events at Slapton with partners, e.g. Celebrate Start Bay
• Managing the summer Beach Trailer to welcome visitors with information and activities at Slapton Sands
• Developing and distributing newsletters and posters in the local area
Co-ordinating & managing volunteers
• Co-ordinating visitor welcome volunteers at the summer Beach Trailer on Slapton Sands to enhance the visitor experience and promote the opportunities for outdoor learning and environmental understanding at FSC Slapton
• Managing volunteers to support administration systems
• Managing volunteers to attend events and promote opportunities at Slapton
• Managing volunteers to distribute newsletters and posters in the local area
Enhance the management of FSC Slapton to provide the highest quality experience
• Working with staff to identify needs and opportunities for volunteers to support our work
• Recruiting volunteers to support our work
• Coaching, mentoring and supporting staff to enable them to effectively manage volunteers
• Working with Head Office Human Resources team and other Centres to champion volunteering and develop best practice within FSC
Developing volunteers and volunteering
• Providing induction, training and support for volunteers to meet their needs
• Developing a volunteer voice to manage expectations
• Developing projects through links with partners to support ecological recording schemes and promote the health benefits of volunteering
Planning, Administration & Funding
• Writing action plans to develop volunteering
• Ensuring effective administration of volunteer systems and information
• Identify and take opportunities to apply for external funding for projects
• Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operational Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
• Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
• Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
• Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
• Maintaining a high standard of personal hygiene & personal appearance in accordance with FSC policies
• Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
• Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
• Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you may be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you may also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you may be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
• Taking an active role in the learning location’s overnight duty and on-call system – this will involve staying on site on some evenings and overnight to deal with customer issues and, with the support of a Senior member of staff, respond to emergencies
• Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location